Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is the brief description about K.J. Somaiya Polytechnic?

    K. J. Somaiya Polytechnic is an Autonomous aided polytechnic, located at Vidya Vihar a suburb of Mumbai. It is managed by Somaiya Vidyavihar with a grant in aid from Maharashtra Government.  The polytechnic is accessible easily from Vidyavihar, Ghatkopar and Tilak Nagar stations on the Harbour line. This polytechnic is established in the year 1962.

  • What is Autonomy?

    K. J. Somaiya Polytechnic has been awarded academic autonomy by Government of Maharashtra, vide Circular No.WBP / 1093 / (2640) (69) / TE2 dated 13-01-94 in recognition of consistent, high degree of academic achievements, high standard and reputation maintained by the Polytechnic in the field of education.  K.J. Somaiya Polytechnic has plans to make the best possible use of the freedom thus available, in the various concerning academic matters.

  • What is Multipoint Entry and Credit system?

    This is an advantage due to the autonomy. A student can be allowed entry at some higher semester (depending on his qualifications) so that he can complete his diploma in shorter time. Also, exemptions in certain courses may be granted wherever possible so as to relieve the burden of repetition of study. An equivalence cell has been established for each programme to look into such matters.

    The Multi Point Entry and Credit system is devised to reduce the time of completion of programme for higher qualification entrants.  They are given certain credits at entrance because of their qualifications.  This system also allows lateral mobility for the students.

    Currently the institute gets about 85% students with SSC+ and the rest 15% from the HSC+ Science / Technical / Vocational streams / ITI/ MCVC, etc. having higher qualification than S.S.C. being eligible for getting exemption for some courses for which credits can be awarded. M.P.E.C.S. and flexibility allows such students to register for courses which the SSC+ students may not opt at the beginning of the programme.  This registration for additional course helps in reducing the time for completion of programme, subject to the offer of courses by the concerned department.

  • What is the advantage of Flexibility?

    Students with higher qualifications are given exemptions in certain subjects so the time taken for the completion reduces.  Below average students also have to undergo studies at the same pace which they find difficult to cope with causing frustration and drop outs. These weak points are to get resolved particularly by “Programme Flexibility”.

    1. Reduce the duration of programme for students with higher qualifications.
    2. Allow students a flexible path.
    3. Cater to added diversification in the emerging technologies.
    4. Allow flexibility in the completion of the programme by individual student by allowing slow learners to take more time and the high achievers to take less time compared to the average students.
    5. Allow students to grow individually by opting for allied / interest courses.
    6. Encourage students to take their own decisions in deciding the courses leading to their psychological satisfaction.
    7. Modify curricula as per changing needs of industry and society.
    8. Provide for continuing education for workers / technician in the industry by admitting their staff in part time diploma or arranging special programmes for them.

    Ensure lateral and vertical mobility for students by offering them additional and advanced courses.

  • What is Part Time Diploma ?

    Part time diploma is the course offered to the employed candidates who fulfill the requisite conditions for the course.

    The classes for such students are conducted in the evening between 5.45 PM and 8.45 PM. The curriculum offered to these students is the same as the students of Full Time Diploma and the examination papers too are same.